For those residing in the EU, please consider that this Policy has been updated in accordance with the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For those residing elsewhere, if you visit, sign up, or use Planet, or otherwise indicate that you adhere to this Statement, you consent and authorize the use of your personal data in the manner described in this Policy.
When you use Planet, there are expectations about how you must respect and protect the privacy of other members. These expectations are listed in our Contract between Adherents. We invite you to read it. Violation of these rules or other elements of the Contract between Adherents could lead to loss of account privileges, and could potentially include a permanent ban from using Planet.
1.0 What is Planet?
Planet is a platform designed for the physical places frequented by people; with the hope that, wherever adherents use Planet’s platform, it can serve to enhance their quality of life.
We will use here “Planet” to refer to the sites, the iOS and Android apps of Planet (also defined as our Services) through which you access the platform. We will also use “Planet”, “we”, “us” and “our” to refer to the companies that operate our Services.
2.0 Who provides the Services and checks my data?
If you live in the EU or in another place, Planet is operated and supplied by Planet Holding Ltd, an English company. For the purposes of European data protection legislation, Planet Holding Ltd is the owner of your processing.
If you change your residence, your information will be handled as specified above, based on your new residence and starting from the date your home address changes.
Our legal bases for the collection, use, sharing and other processing of your data:
Planet uses different legal bases to collect, use, share and otherwise process your data for the purposes described in this Policy. The following legal bases are necessary for the execution of the Contract between Adherents and for the provision of the Services;
- The consent required is expressed by an unequivocal positive act by which the member declares the free, specific, informed intention to accept the processing of personal data concerning him / her. This consent may be limited, revoked, and you may cancel your account at any time.
- Required to allow Planet to fulfill a legal obligation, a court order, or to assert or defend a legal claim;
- Necessary to safeguard your vital interests or those of others;
- If you have made such information clearly public;
- If it is necessary for a public interest;
- If it is necessary for the pursuit of the legitimate interest of Planet or third parties, such as visitors, members, or partners.
3.0 Our legitimate interests
We process your data to pursue the following legitimate interests:
- Keep the Services safe and secure: we use your information as necessary to pursue our legitimate interests, and those of our members, to ensure that Planet is safe, through the implementation and improvement of security and protection measures, against fraud, spam and abuse, and the execution of our Contract between Adherents.
- Provide, improve and develop the Services: we use your data to provide the Services. We do this as necessary to pursue our legitimate interests to provide an innovative offer to our members on a sustainable basis.
- Provide Uniform Services among the Planet companies: if the said Services involve other Planet companies, we will share your data with such affiliated companies in order to provide and improve the Services.
4.0 The data we collect
When we provide the Services, we collect or receive data in different ways. In many cases, you decide which data to provide. Some data is needed to use Planet and to provide you with the Services. We will use this data for the purposes described below.
Please note that some types of Planet accounts and features are not available everywhere, so some of the examples below may not apply where you live.
4.1 From you, or with your permission. We collect a set of data from you when you provide it directly, when we request it, or when you give us permission to obtain it from a third source. Below are a series of examples:
- When you sign up for Planet, provide your name, phone number, profile picture, e-mail address and other similar information.
- If you decide to invite new members to join Planet, you can choose to share their email addresses with us, or share your contacts with us, so we can send them an invitation and a reminder on your behalf.
- If you want to join Planet, but we do not yet have the service for your contention, you can choose to provide us with your contact information and ask us to notify you when it is available.
- If you use your Facebook account to access Planet (or subsequently connect your Facebook account to your Planet account), you authorize Facebook to share your personal information with us, including your name and your e-mail address.
- If you want to support a local business, you can choose to share information about it, through an email.
- If you want to help other Planet members know you better, you can share information about yourself on your profile, including your interests, your skills, or even what you like.
- If you want to connect and talk with members of special interests, you can share information about your interests.
- If you want to allow us to show you where you are on the map when you send an SOS, you can indicate it by changing the location settings on your mobile device.
4.2 From your browser and device. Like almost all other online services, we automatically collect technical information when you visit or use Planet or read our message. We collect information from your browser, computer, or mobile device. This provides us with technical information about when you use Planet as a guest or adherent, including:
- Device data, describing the device you are using, its type and model, its operating system and which version, its unique identifier, crash data (if any) and what settings you have activated. Your device and software settings affect what information your device makes available to us.
- Log data, which are automatically recorded by our servers based on data sent from your app or browser. Typically, this includes the date and time you visited, the version of the browser or app you used (and its settings), the URLs you came from and go to, your IP address and protocol and how you used Planet (for example, which links you clicked on)
4.3 From third parties and public sources. We engage service providers and third-party partners in order to provide information and we also use publicly accessible sources, such as:
- Advertisers who can provide us with information about their users or customers in order to personalize advertising or evaluate the performance of their advertising.
- Public sources, such as census data, street addresses, building plans and information about changes to postal addresses, which provide us with data that help us understand our members and potential areas for expansion.
5.0 How we use your data
We use the data at our disposal to provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
5.1 Configuring Planet. In order to enable us to operate and provide the Services, we use the data to allow you to start using Planet.
- For residential members, we verify that you live at the address you provided us through a combination of your address and a second factor, such as a code that we provide, the address connected to your credit card or social security code (when permitted by law), manual checks by members or community managers who invited you, or geo-verification, if you are offered and accept this option.
- If you sign up with Facebook or link your account, we use your Facebook information to automatically create your Planet account, populate your profile and request a password so you can access Planet in the future without having to log in through Facebook.
- Once registered, your personal information is used to populate your profile.
5.2 Providing and improving the Services. We use the data to improve our products and our functions:
- To understand aggregated and anonymized trends, the use of statistics and demographics of members and places we cover.
- To respond to your support requests and comments.
- To test and evaluate potential new products and features on Planet.
- To diagnose and solve problems, analyze trends and monitor the use of aggregates and resource requirements.
- For our analytical activities, such as performing analyzes to create statistics and data on the use of our Services.
5.3 Advertising. We use data to provide and improve advertisements and other commercial offers:
- To measure whether an advertisement has been deemed interesting by the members.
- To measure if an advertisement was effective for the advertiser.
- To help personalize advertising based on what we think may interest you.
We can customize the advertising offers you see on Planet based on information received from our advertisers, demographics, or your activities on Planet.
6.0 Your rights
The following addresses the benefits of a series of your rights related to how we process your data. While some of these rights are generally applied, other rights only apply in certain cases. We describe these rights below.
6.1 Access and portability. You can access most of your Planet data by logging into your Planet account. For EU member accounts, if you request further access or if you are not currently a Planet member, send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of your Planet data. Where required by law, we will provide your information in an easily accessible format and assist you in transferring some of this data to third parties.
6.2 Correction and cancellation. You can also rectify or delete your Planet data by connecting to your Planet account. If you cannot connect or do not have a Planet account, please contact us.
6.3 Opposition. If your data is processed on the basis of our legitimate interest, as explained above, or in the public interest and you have an EU member account, in some circumstances you may object to this treatment. In such cases, we will stop processing your data unless there are compelling and legitimate reasons to continue processing it or when such processing is necessary for legal reasons.
6.5 Complaints. If you have an EU member account and wish to enforce a problem with our use of your data (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to contact your national supervisory authority or the supervisory authority of Planet.
7.0 Sharing data with third parties
We share data with service providers, affiliated companies, partners and other third parties, where necessary to execute the Contract between Adherents, to provide the Services or for any other purpose described in the Policy.
7.1 Share Content with Members. Planet is a platform that allows neighbors to share useful information with each other. To this end, we design the Content that put on Planet, available to other Planet members.
7.2 Content accessible to the public. In limited circumstances, we may make small extracts of Content available to the public (meaning non-members and search engines), without your name or other identifying information.
7.3 Marketing and spam. We know that you do not want to receive spam or marketing calls from third parties, so we will never sell or grant your contact information to third parties and will not share it with third parties unless you give us your consent.
7.4 Advertising. You always have the choice if and how to interact with an advertisement (for example, answering or “thanking” or clicking to know more about the offer). If you respond to an advertisement or offer, we can share your response with the advertiser and record your interaction as part of the control over the effectiveness of advertising.
7.5 Third party service providers. We may share your personal data in order to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support and market our Services. These third parties are contractually bound to use them only to provide their services and have the contractual prohibition to use them for their own purposes (for example, we use a company that helps us to analyze the performance of our site and mobile applications).
7.6 Within Planet. We can share your data within our “corporate group”. The more we grow, the more Planet becomes available in other countries, so we could expand our group by setting up subsidiaries or other affiliated companies in these countries, as needed to help us offer Planet in those countries.
7.7 Reorganization of the activity. If the activity is subject to reorganization, as in the case of mergers or acquisitions of part or all assets, in accordance with our legitimate interests, we may need to share data during the transaction. In such circumstances, your data may be disclosed, when required by applicable law, in connection with a corporate restructuring, sale or asset allocation, merger or other changes in the control or financial situation of Planet.
7.8 Legal and security reasons. We may store, archive, or share your personal information if we believe, in good faith, that this is reasonably necessary to (a) respond, based on applicable law, to requests made under the law (for example, court summons, mandates search, court orders, or other requests from government authorities or law enforcement agencies); (b) identify, investigate, prevent and deal with fraud and other illegal activities, or security or technical issues; (c) protect our rights, our properties or our security; (d) enforce our Contract between Adherents or any other contract we have with you. Our legal team checks every request received from law enforcement agencies and frequently requests changes to instances that we consider to be procedurally defective or too vague.
7.9 Aggregated data. We share some aggregated data about the places where we act, such as statistics about activities and size, with subjects belonging to public administrations and other organizations. Given the special role of public administration accounts, we can provide public administrations with limited personal identification data (name and initials of the surname), for the community managers of the sites in order to allow administrations to communicate directly with them.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized data to companies with whom we do business, including our advertisers and entities belonging to public administrations or other organizations.
8.0 Data transfer
We transfer personal data outside the EU in accordance with European data protection legislation, including when it is necessary to provide the Services and execute the Contract between Adherents.
9.1 Standard contract terms. We can use legal procedures known as “standard contract terms” to protect data transferred outside the European Union. The standard contractual clauses refer to contracts between companies that transfer personal data, which contain standard commitments approved by the European Commission in order to protect the privacy and security of the transferred data. To request a copy of the clauses, please contact us at email@example.com.
By continuing to use Planet, you understand that we may transfer and retain your data outside of your country of origin, as described in this Policy. The protection of privacy and the rights of the authorities to access your personal data in some of these countries may not be the same as your country of origin. Planet will transfer personal data only as permitted by law and will take measures to ensure the proper protection of your personal data.
9.0 Storage of data
10.0 Additional information
10.1 Security of the account. Planet uses technical and organizational measures to keep your data secure, including the use of https on our web pages in order to reduce the risk of unauthorized interception of your communications during your visits to the site. In any case, the Internet is not a completely secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your data will not be intercepted or that there is no illegitimate access. Please make sure you keep your password safe and do not share it with anyone.
10.2 Other services and websites. While using Planet, you may find links to sites and services provided by third parties (for example, if an adherent shares a link to a YouTube video or an advertiser provides a link to a contest or lottery). These third parties have their own privacy policies, which will apply to your business when you click on the link and access their sites or services. We assume no responsibility for the privacy and security practices of these external sites.
10.3 Changes to the Information. From time to time we may make changes to this Policy, so please review it periodically. If we make substantial changes to our Policy, we will notify you of such changes in advance, for example by sending you a message via e-mail or posting a notice in the news.
11.0 How to contact us
Planet Holding Ltd
2nd floor, Berkeley Square House
Berkeley Square, Mayfair
London, W1J 6BE – United Kingdom
+44 207 8874525
Our Data Protection Manager can be contacted here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: December 28, 2018.