Main purposes of the job
Technology is at the heart of our business and data is an essential part of this. As Head of Data and Insights, you will lead the Data and Insights team across all aspects of their work, including collection, streaming, reporting and machine learning.
The Data and Insights Team works with multiple stakeholders across the business to ensure data is of high quality, access is democratised and governance is assured. Our team will also lead on deeper data analysis to uncover customer behaviour patterns and inform our product and business strategy. We will collect data from multiple sources, modelling for predictive behaviours and responses.
- Providing overall leadership for the data and insights team.
- Defining and devising a long-term strategy for data and translate that into a roadmap, defining OKRs to clearly measure progress.
- Helping to propagate a culture of data collection, insight and integrity.
- Identifying opportunities for deeper analysis to inform the business and drive decision-making and customer strategy.
- Training members of the data team, ensuring that their knowledge of the field and working skills are constantly improving. This includes defining progression frameworks and conducting performance reviews.
- Gathering business requirements in order to produce user stories on how to collect and model data.
- Support the product team when defining and tracking requirements.
- Work with engineering leads on architectural decisions around data platforms and systems.
- Mentor the data analytics team, providing guidance on how to structure analysis, presentations and effective data queries.
- Own developing annual and quarterly roadmaps and OKRs for the data team in order to drive progress towards goals.
- Provisioning, configuring and optimising multiple database systems.
- Teaching how to use query plans to improve performance.
- Advocating for practical storage strategies.
You will need an undergraduate degree in Engineering, Information Technology or another relevant discipline.
For this role, we are looking for someone from a very strong data insight and business intelligence background, who is comfortable with managing multiple business stakeholders and setting clear deliverable outcomes. You will understand how source and target systems work and be able to integrate this knowledge into best practice solutions.
Hands-on data engineering experience is desirable, but not essential. This would ideally include the following: data architecture design, fluency in source control and release workflows, confidence in at least one programming language besides SQL variants.
- Strong data background with demonstrable ability to curate technical discussions across all levels of the data hierarchy of needs
- Experience gathering business requirements, structuring analysis and sharing outcomes to a variety of audiences
- Experience with web analytics tools and defining how tracked data should be collected.
- Practical knowledge of Looker or similar tools (e.g. definition of views, dimensions and metrics)
- Experience of best practice in data warehousing, with deep understanding of warehouse architecture
- Working knowledge of a range of database technologies and the insight to recommend the best tool for different circumstances
- Experience working with cloud computing services (e.g. AWS)
- Experience of managing people (ideally analysts) and mitigating crossteam challenges
- Confident communicator who enjoys explaining high-level concepts
- Able to articulate data objectives well and to a wide variety of teams with different levels of knowledge
- Enthusiastic about keeping up-to-date with industry trends and attending occasional meet-ups and conferences
- Keen to inspire and influence others with regards to data and insight possibilities